At the core of PaperCut MF is the ability to interface directly with MFD hardware to track off-the-glass functions such as copy, scan, fax and secure print release. PaperCut has worked directly with leading MFD manufactures to bring our software directly to the MFD at a firmware level. To complete the solution offering across all devices PaperCut MF also supports hardware copier terminals from multiple vendors.
To track off-the-glass device usage such as copying usage the authentication and tracking step needs to be done on the device itself. Where possible this is accomplished using embedded software. The embedded software runs on the MFD and works with the PaperCut Application Server to bring the same experience offered with printing to direct device usage. This includes:
- User authentication using various methods
- Username/Password, Card swipe, Employee ID and/or PIN
- Ability to release print jobs securely from a Global Queue
- Tracking and recording of all usage is sent across to the central PaperCut MF Server
- Group based access control
Embedded solutions also offer other service such as the ability for users to self-associate a new swipe card with their account and check their account balance (in quota controlled environment).
PaperCut's MFP control solutions offer the following benefits over a copier's traditional in-built control functions:
- Central Administration - Set and manage all access, accounting and charges using the same rules and interface used to manage your printers.
- Single Identity - Users have a single account for both copying and printing. Accounts are sourced from your existing Active Directory, OpenDirectory, or LDAP environment ensuring ease of implementation and ongoing management.
- Real-time Reporting - On the completion of each copy session (when the user presses end) the details of the copy transaction are logged into PaperCut in real-time. Provision for network failure is provided enabling session replay from memory. Administrators have access to the same PaperCut reporting and management features as they would have for a standard printer.
- Release Station - Select copier terminals can also be used as a PaperCut MF print release station, negating the requirement for a separate PC.
- All MFD Makes and Models - Whether you are looking to migrate to a single manufacturer based service or have the need for multiple copier and printer types, PaperCut MF will enable you to lock-in your management, reporting and processes no matter the mix for today and tomorrow with a solution that works equally well for any device.
- Value Advantage - In addition to providing you with the most robust and flexible product of its type, PaperCut MF suggested educational and business products pricing ensures that you will maintain your competitive edge against all others.
Hardware Copier Control Terminals
Embedded/Onboard software is a new and emerging technology and not all devices have the features to support PaperCut's embedded software. These devices are able to be controlled and tracked using Hardware Copier Control Terminals. Copier controls/terminals are a proven technology that's been in use in the industry for over 10 years. They work by interfacing with the copier on one side, and the network and PaperCut on the other. PaperCut MF works with a variety of hardware copier control terminals produced by different manufactures. Devices range from cost effective LCD screen and keypad based units through to touchscreen based terminals.